Before you begin the design-build process for your home construction or remodel, you should be equipped and informed every step of the way.
Here are our recommended questions to guide your design-builder interviews:
Philosophy and Values:
- Where can I view a portfolio or a virtual tour?
- What experience does your team have with [your type/style of build or remodel]?
- Describe your company culture and the culture of your design-build teams.
- Who is on your team? Tell me about their experience, special certifications, and expertise.
- Is anyone LEED-certified?
- Do you value energy-efficiency?
- Given what you know about my project, would you assemble a new team or work with an existing team.
- Tell me about any awards/accolades your firm and/or your design teams have won for their work.
- What philosophies and values guide your work? How do you put them into practice on a build?
- What is your artistic/architectural inspiration?
- Tell me about your vendors and how you select them.
Process and Execution:
- Please describe your bidding process: how do you ensure its accuracy?
- How are your site assessments conducted?
- Tell me about the different phases of a construction project.
- Who is my point-person for this project and what type of experience do they have with the design-build process?
- May I contact a few of your past clients and vendors to discuss their perspective on the process?
- Tell me about your history of project delivery. How often are they on schedule?
- How do you contend with delays and setbacks? How do you prepare for them in advance?
- What is your experience with emergency or time-sensitive projects?
- If something needs to change, what does that process look like?
- Tell me about your safety protocols and record.
- How and when do you communicate with clients throughout construction?
- How involved do you expect the client to be throughout the process?
- What paperwork is required of clients? Which aspects does your team take care of?
- Will I receive training or resources to assist my involvement during construction?
- What are your follow-up procedures?
- Will I be provided with compliance documents, records, and other resources or training needed to properly maintain my build.
- How would the present project plan allow for future improvements and expansions?
- Describe how you maintain client relationships over time.
While any build or renovation is daunting, knowing what to ask of your design-builder goes a long way toward instilling confidence across the process. We hope this interview will guide you to the right builder for your project.
[GET ANSWERS TO YOUR DESIGN-BUILD QUESTIONS. CONTACT US.]